Ross M. Newton
Nuke TD & VFX Artist
Los Angeles, CA
rossmnewton at gmail dot com
SEP 99 - DEC 02
Wright State University
Dayton, OH B.S. in Computer Science
Minor in Fine Art Drawing
Online reel & website:
References & Extended
Available Upon Request
3D Generalist & Stereoscopic Workflow.
Knowledge of photo-realistic visual effects creation, workflow, and supervision. Extended experience with Maya for modeling, animating, lighting, effects (cloth, fluids, particles, dynamics), and stereo rendering. Experience with 3DSMAX/FumeFX for smoke and fire simulations. Also knowledgeable of Lightwave 3D. Extensive experience with SynthEyes for 3D motion-tracking. Additionally, skilled at custom script-authoring and programming due to broad software background.
Knowledge and experience of major high-resolution feature-film stereoscopic multi-pass compositing workflows. Specific experience with Nuke and NukeX for keying, grading, rotoscoping/painting, working with render passes, and channel manipulation. Also experienced with using Nuke's 3D compositing features, stereoscopic workflow, and Furnace plugins. Additional extensive experience with After Effects for feature film and television compositing.
Motion Graphics & On-Screen Programming
Extensive experience using Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects for motion graphics creation including extensive design experience, titles, import/export camera data between 3D and 2D, and expression-based animation. Experience with all major plugins including the Trapcode Suite (Particular, Form, Shine, etc.), Video Copilot Lens Flares, and additional effects.
Nuke TD & VFX Artist, Los Angeles, CA | JAN 2008 - PRESENT
Freelance Feature Film Work
- Marvel Studios. (DEC 2013 - PRESENT) Served ongoing role as in-house Nuke TD, Nuke Compositor, CG Artist, and Pre-vis/Post-vis Artist working directly on-site for Marvel Studios Post Production on Captain America: Civil War, Ant Man, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Proof Inc. (JUL 2013 - DEC 2013) Served as Pre-vis and Post-vis Artist/Animator working on-site at Marvel Studios on Captain America: Winter Soldier.
- Pixel Playground Inc. (MAR 2010 - JUN 2012) Served as CG Artist, CG Lead, Compositor, and Graphics Programmer on seven major-studio feature films including Gulliver's Travels, I Am Number Four, Green Lantern, The Amazing Spiderman, The Bourne Legacy, Bullet To The Head, and Argo.
- Visual Alchemy, LLC (SEP 2011 - OCT 2011) Designed, programmed, and animated several on-screen graphic elements for use on the set of the major feature-film Disconnect.
- RiverRain Productions (JAN 2010 - MAR 2010) Served as VFX Lead. Freelanced directly with production company on the independent feature film Suing The Devil.
- FatCat Filmworks (JAN 2008 - JUL 2009) Served as VFX Supervisor and VFX Lead. Freelanced directly with production company on the independent feature film True Nature.
Freelance Television Work
- Dilated Pixels (NOV 2012 - FEB 2013) Served as a CG Artist and Compositor for The Weather Channel show Forecasting The End.
- Visual Alchemy, LLC (SEP 2011 - OCT 2011) Designed, programmed, and animated several on-screen graphic elements for use on the set for various film and television projects including the 2012 CBS television show NYC 22.
Freelance Studio Work
- Inhance Digital (AUG 2009 - JAN 2010) Served as Design Artist, CG Artist, Compositor, and Graphics Programmer on multiple kiosk, trade-show, and VFX projects.
- Lightborne (MAR 2009) Served as CG Artist on national commercial, Similac "SimplePac".
- Designed-Solutions Group (JUL 2008). Served as Motion Graphics Lead on national GE Money "Dealer Choices Program".
Ball Aerospace & Tech Corp., Dayton, OH | DEC 2003 - JAN 20083D Visualization Lead
Team Leader for the National Air & Space Intelligence Center's (NASIC) CG Threat Visualization program:
- Designed, developed, and produced 3D visualization process and CG products
- Responsible for all-aspects of product development including storyboarding, modeling, surfacing, texture painting, lighting, animating, effects, editing, and management.
- Developed the program's department, process, and products entirely from the ground up growing a two person group to over sixteen people in two years.
Long Term Experience
Nuke & NukeX 9.0vX
Furnace, Stereoscopic Workflow
After Effects CC
Lightwave 3D 2015
Synth Eyes 2015
3D Studio Max